Search

Download Books Online The Bridge

Download Books Online The Bridge
The Bridge Hardcover | Pages: 288 pages
Rating: 3.85 | 10273 Users | 318 Reviews

Specify Books Supposing The Bridge

Original Title: The Bridge
ISBN: 0316858544 (ISBN13: 9780316858540)
Edition Language: English
Characters: John Orr
Literary Awards: Kurd-Laßwitz-Preis for Foreign Novel (1991)

Explanation Conducive To Books The Bridge

A darkly brilliant novel of self-discovery the cutting edge of experimental fiction. It leads from nowhere to nowhere, the mysterious world-spanning structure on which everyone seems to live. Rescued from the sea, devoid of personality or memory, all John Orr knows is the Bridge, his persistent dreams of war, and his desire for Chief Engineer Arrol's provocative daughter, Abberlaine.

Mention Of Books The Bridge

Title:The Bridge
Author:Iain Banks
Book Format:Hardcover
Book Edition:Anniversary Edition
Pages:Pages: 288 pages
Published:July 5th 2001 by Little, Brown (first published 1986)
Categories:Fiction. Fantasy. Science Fiction. Contemporary

Rating Of Books The Bridge
Ratings: 3.85 From 10273 Users | 318 Reviews

Weigh Up Of Books The Bridge
What the hell this is so boring and aimless, and just not very well crafted either. I have to return to Murakami's rule from 1Q84: if the reader hasn't seen something before, you should take extra time to describe it.And I knew it. I knew if I even caught a sniff of criticism of this book they would call it 'Kafka-esque', everyone's favourite shorthand for weird and depressing*. People praise Murakami for his true understanding of Kafka, and I have to praise him too because I don't get Kafka,

One of my perennial favourites. I love the parallel world of the bridge and the way its details are seeded from the hero's life. Unfortunately there's a rough patch with some barbarians - why do most alternate-headworld novels seem to have a tedious section with a barbarian? The real-world strand hasn't stayed with me as much as the imaginative bravado of the bridge world, perhaps because I didn't have the feeling that the character had anything major to address. But I reread every few years for

The bridge - a surrealist alternative sci-fi(ish) dreamy exploration of culture life and death.Or for me a disorganised mess of varying prose unclear settings and unattachable a characters. I'm very aware of The Bridge intending to be something different, really just expressing that it was not for me

Mostly very good. The problem I had with it was that there were several chapters told from a barbarian's veiwpoint and these pieces were all written in thick dialect. This slowed down the pace of the book to a crawl. (The only way he could have made it less enjoyable would be to have the dialect printed in italics.) I skipped every one of these chapters after slogging through the first and felt like I missed very little. There were some great set pieces and inventions in this book and it had

A fantastic experience that's clearly a dream yet the story is reminiscent of everything we all have to deal with in the real world every day.A dream that's clearly the real world yet the story is too lovely to be real, and too painful not to be.Dreams that are dreams within dreams that may hold meaning but it's hidden from me.Read it. You may regret it. But you won't forget it.

Wow. What a crazy, ambitious book. Definitely not the kind of book an author could write as a debut. It seems to me that there are a ton of books and films that spin off from this work, and it's indicative of Banks's wild and creative imagination that he was coming up with this kind of stuff before anyone else. I could find all sorts of elements of things to come: tinges of Inception, The Matrix, Alex Garland's The Coma, even the transcription of Scottish dialect that would turn up in Irvine

Iain Banks was a genius and The Bridge is one of his greatest works. Few would disagree with the first statement, but some might disagree with the last.Why? Because this novel utilizes a pretty cheesy central plot device that the events occurring are the dreams of a man in a coma. If this puts you off I understand - usually any novel using the 'It was all a dream' premise sounds as appealing to me as Days of our Lives in book form - but trust me: this novel is worth your time. If you can look

Post a Comment

0 Comments